Welcome to John Bagge Sports Therapy, qualified Sports Therapist working in Kendal, Cumbria
What is Sports Therapy?
Sports therapy is concerned with the treatment, rehabilitation and prevention of sports injuries. It aims to return the patient to optimum levels of functional, occupational and sports specific fitness regardless of age and ability.
What I provide
- Injury diagnosis, assessment and treatment
- Explanation of the condition
- Sports massage
- Muscle energy techniques for restoring range of motion
- Kinesiology taping
- Follow up support with rehabilitation exercises
- Runners strength and muscle pattern assessment
- Confidential consultation
- I utilise sports and exercise principles to optimise performance, preparation, and injury prevention programmes.
- Referral to other medical or specialist practitioners
- Evening appointments available
Sports therapy is not just about sports massage
Sports therapists possess massage skills that are an integral part of their scope of practice. Sports therapists will use sports massage alongside other sports therapy techniques and skills. A sports therapist will assess an injury and aim to identify the underlying causes of it in order to prevent it recurring.
Sports therapists apply 'physiotherapy' skills because physiotherapy is defined as 'the treatment of disease, injury or deformity by physical methods including massage, heat treatment, electricity and exercise, rather than drugs or surgery'. Sports therapists will use massage, exercises, electrotherapy, stretching, trigger pointing and other techniques. Sports therapists therefore have some of the skills and knowledge of a physiotherapist and also knowledge and skills specific to the treatment, rehabilitation and prevention of soft tissue injuries related to sport.